College training leads to job success at West Midland Safari Park
45 people have been employed by West Midland Safari Park as the result of a training programme delivered by BMet College. Further job opportunities will also be available ahead of the park’s summer season.
The new recruits completed two-week employability programmes across the college’s sites in Kidderminster, Stourbridge and Brierley Hill. These included work placements at the park and the opportunity to gain qualifications in employability, customer service and food safety.
Charlotte Stokes, HR Manager at West Midland Safari Park commented: “It’s great when local organisations come together to help provide opportunities for people within the community. West Midland Safari Park has worked in conjunction with BMet College and Jobcentre Plus to develop a course that provides individuals with an array of transferable skills and knowledge, ensuring that they are better prepared for the workplace.
“Both myself and the managers involved have been delighted with the level of enthusiasm and motivation displayed by the participants of this workshop and plans are already in place to run the scheme again to support our summer recruitment.”
Vacancies across departments including food and beverages, retail and administration, park services and entertainments have been filled. New training programmes are also running in May to recruit an additional 75 staff.
Pauline Barker, Department Manager at BMet, said: “We have developed a highly effective training programme that brings Jobcentre Plus clients into the world of work while supporting the skills needs of West Midland Safari Park.
“The programme helped participants boost their confidence by developing their customer service, retail and hospitality skills. We’re delighted that so many of them have begun new, rewarding jobs with excellent prospects. Hopefully this will inspire others to embark on similar programmes in order to be equally as successful.”
Jobseekers interested in applying for the new employability programme should speak to the coach at their local Jobcentre Plus.
Notes to editors:
- BMet College is one of the largest further education colleges in the UK, providing a wide range of education, training and apprenticeship courses across the West Midlands
- We are made up four colleges; James Watt College in Great Barr, Matthew Boulton College, central Birmingham, Stourbridge College and Sutton Coldfield College. We also have education and training centres serving local communities in Erdington, Brierley Hill and Kidderminster.
- We enrol around 25,000 students of all ages each year on a range of full, part time and higher education courses
- We work with local employers and businesses as well global companies including BMW Group, Samsung, Caterpillar, IBM, Jaguar Land Rover and Network Rail to deliver training, apprenticeships and work experience/placement opportunities for students
- Our Vision Statement is ‘Inspiring Futures, Realising Dreams’
- Our sponsored secondary school, Harborne Academy, specialises in Science & Health
For more media information please contact:
Shobby Patel on 0121 355 5671 ext.2332 or 07970 268522 or email@example.com